- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
Nim Li Punit
Nim Li Punit Review
Nim Li Punit, a Late Classic site discovered in 1976, has 26 unearthed stelae, including one, Stela 14, that is 30 feet tall—the largest ever found in Belize and the second largest found anywhere in the Mayan world. Nim Li Punit, which means "Big Hat" in the Ket'chi Mayan (sometimes referred to as Kek'chi) language, is named for the elaborate headgear of a ruler pictured on Stela 14. Shady trees cool you off as you walk around the fairly small site (you can see it all in an hour or so). Stop by the informative visitor center on the premises to learn more about the site. Nim Li Punit is near the Ket'chi village of Indian Creek, and children (and some adults) from the village usually come over and offer jewelry and crafts for sale.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
My fiancee and I are planning our honeymoon. Read more
2 weeks in Belize was not enough to explore the entire country, but we got a taste of it and we know we will go back for more!
I will not go into a lot of details, but I got a lot of help from this forum Read more
Thank you to everybody who responded to my previous post about Belize. Read more
· News & Features
Do you dream about going snout-to-snout with a bear, or at least observing a bear from a safe and responsible... Read more
Honeymoons are the chance to take the adventure of a lifetime.... Read more
Planning a trip to Belize, you'd expect all manner of outdoorsy and water activities.... Read more