- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
San Antonio Review
The Mopan Maya village of San Antonio, a market town 35 mi (56 km) west of Punta Gorda, is Toledo's second-largest town, with a population of more than 2,000. It was settled by people from the Guatemalan village of San Luis, who revere their former patron saint. The village church, built of stones carted from surrounding Mayan ruins, has a stained-glass window donated by another city with a connection to the saint: St. Louis, Missouri. The people of San Antonio haven't forgotten their ancient heritage: Each June 13, they take to the streets for a festival that dates back to pre-Columbian times. At this writing the road to San Antonio is being paved past San Antonio all the way to the Guatemala border, with completion expected in 2014 or 2015.
- Address: San Antonio village, San Antonio
- Location: The Deep South
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
I've just returned from a fantastic 10 day adventure to Belize and wanted to share my trip report since reading so many of these before I went was so helpful.
i put off for too long shopping for a new Read more
My fiancee and I are planning our honeymoon. Read more
For anyone who has been to both Chan Chich and Bosque del Cabo, how did you think the two compared? Read more
· News & Features
Travelers to Belize will find a fairy-tale landscape of white-sand beaches, lush rain forests, and soaring ... Read more
Do you dream about going snout-to-snout with a bear, or at least observing a bear from a safe and responsible... Read more
Honeymoons are the chance to take the adventure of a lifetime.... Read more