- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
The Lodge at Chaa Creek
At a Glance
- stunningly landscaped grounds
- excellent staff and service
- lovely cabañas and suites
- gorgeous pool
- green and socially conscious owners
- lodging and meal prices, except at the safari camp, may strain your budget
Check Rates from our Partners
The Lodge at Chaa Creek Review
This was the first true jungle lodge in the Cayo, and owners Mick and Lucy Fleming (he's from England, she's from the U.S.) have spent three decades polishing The Lodge at Chaa Creek to a fine, rich patina, while adding new features like a gorgeous bi-level swimming pool and appealing tree house Jacuzzi suites. To start, the gracefully landscaped grounds, surrounded by 365 acres of rolling hills above the Macal River, are magnificent. On the grounds are the Rainforest Medicine Trail, Natural History Centre, butterfly farm, horse stables, Maya organic farm, and one of the best spas in Belize. There's a friendly and highly competent staff of around 100. The whitewashed cottages with thatch roofs and custom-made furnishings are both simple and elegant, but not inexpensive. Ten percent of accommodations revenue goes to environmental and social programs. For cost-conscious travelers there's the Macal River Camp, with small A-frame rooms on raised wooden platforms, and the bargain rate gives you full access to all lodge facilities. At the lodge itself, dinner is a special event, starting with cocktails in the bar and perhaps ending with brandy and Cuban cigar under the soaring thatch palapa. Chaa Creek's tours, although not cheap, are among the country's finest, and horseback riding is available. New air service to Maya Flats airstrip by Tropic Air makes getting here much easier.
- Address: Chial Rd., San Ignacio | Map It
- Phone: 824/2037 local reservations; 877/709–8708
- Website: www.chaacreek.com
- Location: San Ignacio
- 14 rooms in duplex cottages, 6 suites, 4 villas, 10 casitas, 1 2-bedroom suite.
- Rate includes breakfast.
- Credit cards accepted.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
Hi, all -
My husband Mike and I just returned from our 4th wonderful visit to Belize. Read more
I've just returned from a fantastic 10 day adventure to Belize and wanted to share my trip report since reading so many of these before I went was so helpful.
i put off for too long shopping for a new Read more
Driving in July2014 to Belize, with our granddaughter, dog and slide on Camper. Read more
· News & Features
Tired of following the pack?... Read more
Considering a trip to Belize? Here are four of our favorite experiences for a memorable “su... Read more
Travelers to Belize will find a fairy-tale landscape of white-sand beaches, lush rain forests, and soaring... Read more