- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
The Lodge at Chaa Creek
At a Glance
- stunningly landscaped grounds
- excellent staff and service
- lovely cabañas and suites
- gorgeous pool
- green and socially conscious owners
- lodging and meal prices, except at the safari camp, may strain your budget
Check Rates from our Partners
The Lodge at Chaa Creek Review
This was the first true jungle lodge in the Cayo, and owners Mick and Lucy Fleming (he's from England, she's from the U.S.) have spent three decades polishing The Lodge at Chaa Creek to a fine, rich patina, while adding new features like a gorgeous bi-level swimming pool and appealing tree house Jacuzzi suites. To start, the gracefully landscaped grounds, surrounded by 365 acres of rolling hills above the Macal River, are magnificent. On the grounds are the Rainforest Medicine Trail, Natural History Centre, butterfly farm, horse stables, Maya organic farm, and one of the best spas in Belize. There's a friendly and highly competent staff of around 100. The whitewashed cottages with thatch roofs and custom-made furnishings are both simple and elegant, but not inexpensive. Ten percent of accommodations revenue goes to environmental and social programs. For cost-conscious travelers there's the Macal River Camp, with small A-frame rooms on raised wooden platforms, and the bargain rate gives you full access to all lodge facilities. At the lodge itself, dinner is a special event, starting with cocktails in the bar and perhaps ending with brandy and Cuban cigar under the soaring thatch palapa. Chaa Creek's tours, although not cheap, are among the country's finest, and horseback riding is available. New air service to Maya Flats airstrip by Tropic Air makes getting here much easier.
- Address: Chial Rd., San Ignacio | Map It
- Phone: 824/2037 local reservations; 877/709–8708
- Website: www.chaacreek.com
- Location: San Ignacio
- 14 rooms in duplex cottages, 6 suites, 4 villas, 10 casitas, 1 2-bedroom suite.
- Rate includes breakfast.
- Credit cards accepted.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
My fiancee and I are planning our honeymoon. Read more
2 weeks in Belize was not enough to explore the entire country, but we got a taste of it and we know we will go back for more!
I will not go into a lot of details, but I got a lot of help from this forum Read more
Hello, There is a ton of great information on the forums. Read more
· News & Features
Do you dream about going snout-to-snout with a bear, or at least observing a bear from a safe and responsible... Read more
Honeymoons are the chance to take the adventure of a lifetime.... Read more
Planning a trip to Belize, you'd expect all manner of outdoorsy and water activities.... Read more