- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
Other than the two-lane George Price Highway most roads in the Cayo are unpaved and dusty in the dry season, muddy in the rainy season. To get to the Cayo, simply follow the Price Highway west from Belize City. Watch out for "sleeping policemen" (speed bumps) near villages along the route. Be especially careful when driving the Price Highway. Most of the road lacks shoulders, and the surface can be extremely slick when wet. Horrific auto accidents occur frequently on this highway, which is long overdue for major upgrading. If you didn’t rent a car in Belize City, you can rent one in San Ignacio. Of the handful of car-rental companies in San Ignacio, Cayo Auto Rentals is usually the cheapest, with vehicles from around BZ$90 a day plus tax.
Cayo Auto Rentals (81 Benque Viejo Rd., George Price Hwy., San Ignacio. 824/2222. www.cayoautorentals.com.)
Flames Auto Rental (Joseph Andrews Dr., San Ignacio. 824/3198. www.flamesautorentals.com.)
Matus Car Rental (18 Benque Viejo Rd., George Price Hwy., San Ignacio. 824/2005. www.matuscarrental.com.)
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's