- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
Safety and Precautions
On several occasions in the past decade, armed bandits from nearby Guatemala robbed tourists around San Ignacio. At this writing, the U.S. Embassy had issued a warning about highway banditry on unpaved roads near the Guatemala border, and trips to Caracol may be made only in convoys accompanied by Belize Defence Forces soldiers. Ask locally about any recent incidents before starting road trips to remote areas. However, most visitors say they feel quite safe. As a visitor, you're unlikely to encounter any problems.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's