- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
Getting Here and Around
San Ignacio is less than two hours by car on the Western Highway from Belize City. Coming into San Ignacio is a little confusing. As you go through the "twin town" of Santa Elena and head into San Ignacio, you'll see the Hawksworth Bridge straight ahead. The bridge is one way coming from the west but this is not well marked; those coming from the east and unfamiliar with the area often try to drive across the bridge the wrong way. A sign noting a detour has been erected, directing vehicles to another bridge.
To keep from running afoul of traffic rules, turn right before the Hawksworth Bridge, following the detour to what is called the "lower bridge" or "low lying bridge." Cross this and follow Savannah Avenue around the sports stadium and, if you're lucky, you'll soon end up back on Price Highway just to the west of San Ignacio. Alternatively, after you cross the river, you can turn left and follow Savannah Avenue past the new Cayo Welcome Center to central San Ignacio. A part of Burns Avenue, the main street in town, is now closed to vehicles and has been turned into a small pedestrian mall. From San Ignacio, the George Price Highway continues on about 9 miles (15 km) to the Guatemala border. This stretch is locally known as the Benque Road.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's