- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
The Lodge at Chaa Creek
At a Glance
- Stunningly beautiful grounds
- excellent staff and service
- lovely cabañas and suites
- gorgeous pool
- Lodging and meal prices have jumped in recent years
Check Rates from our Partners
The Lodge at Chaa Creek Review
This was the first true jungle lodge in the Cayo, and owners Mick and Lucy Fleming—who don't seem to have aged a day since they came to Cayo (did they discover a fountain of youth here?)—have spent 30 years polishing The Lodge at Chaa Creek to a fine, rich patina. To start, the gracefully landscaped grounds, surrounded by 365 acres of rolling hills above the Macal River, are magnificent. On the grounds are the Rainforest Medicine Trail, Natural History Centre, butterfly farm, horse stables, Maya organic farm, one of the best spas in Belize, as well as a gorgeous bi-level swimming pool. There's a friendly and highly competent staff of around 100. The whitewashed stone cottages with thatch roofs and custom-made furnishings are both simple and elegant, but not inexpensive. In-season double rates are BZ$785, inclusive of breakfast, taxes, and service. Ideal for honeymooners is the "tree top suite" (BZ$1,178 for two including breakfast, tax, and service) with whirlpools. A two-bedroom villa suite (BZ$1,488 for up to four persons) is above the spa. For cost-conscious travelers there's the Macal River Camp, with small A-frame rooms on raised wooden platforms (BZ$262 double, including tax, service, and a Belizean breakfast and dinner). At the lodge itself, dinner is a special event, starting with cocktails in the bar and perhaps ending with brandy and Cuban cigar under the soaring thatch palapa. Dinner, not including drinks, is around BZ$72, plus 22.5% tax and service. A full breakfast is included in the room rates. Chaa Creek's tours, although not cheap, are among the country's finest, and horseback riding is available.
- Address: Chial Rd., San Ignacio, | Map It
- Phone: 824/2037 local reservations; 877/709-8708; 834/4010 front desk
- Website: www.chaacreek.com
- Location: San Ignacio
- 14 rooms in duplex cottages, 6 suites, 4 villas, 10 casitas, 1 2-bedroom suite.
- Rate includes breakfast.
- Credit cards accepted.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Belize - Cayo District & Placencia Experience IExplore
- Belize Family IExplore
- Belize Active - Cayo District & San Pedro — $2,399 IExplore
- Belize Family — $2,700 IExplore
- Guatemala, Honduras & Belize — $4,995 IExplore
My fiancee and I are planning our honeymoon. Read more
2 weeks in Belize was not enough to explore the entire country, but we got a taste of it and we know we will go back for more!
I will not go into a lot of details, but I got a lot of help from this forum Read more
Think we have narrowed down Belize as our destination for our 10 year anniversary this October. Read more
· News & Features
Honeymoons are the chance to take the adventure of a lifetime.... Read more
Planning a trip to Belize, you'd expect all manner of outdoorsy and water activities.... Read more
Chock full of ruins, boutique hotels (two owned by Coppola), great food, and barefoot-minded beaches,... Read more