- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
Safety and Precautions
The Mountain Pine Ridge is a remote and lightly populated area. Occasionally, bandits have taken advantage of this to stop and rob visitors, and some Guatemalan squatters have tried to move across the border in search of free land, prompting run-ins with Belize authorities. Currently, Belize Defence Forces soldiers accompany vehicles to Caracol. However, the main danger to most visitors is not bandits but getting lost on a hiking trail or old logging road, or being stung by a scorpion.
Javier's Flying Service. Canadian-owned Javier's Flying Service does charter flights in three- and five-passenger Cessnas to the private landing strips at Blancaneaux Lodge and Hidden Valley Inn in the Mountain Pine Ridge. 824/0460. www.javiersflyingservice.com.
Tropic Air. Tropic Air offers charter flights to private airstrips at Hidden Valley Inn and Blancaneaux in the Mountain Pine Ridge. 226/2012 in Belize; 800/442–3435 in U.S. and Canada. www.tropicair.com.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's