- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
The largest of the three atolls, Turneffe, is the closest to Belize City. It's one of the best spots for diving, thanks to several steep drop-offs. Only an hour from Lighthouse Reef and 45 minutes from the northern edge of Glover's Reef, Turneffe is a good base for exploring all of the atolls.
The best-known attraction, and probably Belize's most exciting wall dive, is the Elbow, at Turneffe's southernmost tip. You may encounter eagle rays swimming nearby. As many as 50 might flutter together, forming a rippling herd. Elbow is generally considered an advanced dive because of the strong currents, which sweep you toward the deep water beyond the reef.
Though it's most famous for its spectacular wall dives, the atoll has dives for every level. The leeward side, where the reef is wide and gently sloping, is good for shallower dives and snorkeling; you'll see large concentrations of tube sponges, soft corals such as forked sea feathers and sea fans, and plenty of fish. Also on the atoll's western side is the wreck of the Sayonara. No doubloons to scoop up here—it was a small passenger and cargo boat that sank in 1985—but it's good for wreck dive practice.
Fishing here, as at all of the atolls, is world-class. You can fly-fish for bonefish and permit in the grassy flats, or go after migratory tarpon from May to September in the channels and lagoons of the atoll. Jack, barracuda, and snappers lurk in the mangrove-lined bays and shorelines. Billfish, sailfish, and other big creatures are in the blue water around the atoll.
Elsewhere in The Cayes and Atolls
- Ambergris Caye and San Pedro
- Caye Caulker
- Glover's Reef Atoll
- Lighthouse Reef Atoll, the Blue Hole, and Half Moon Caye
- South Water Caye
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Book Now & Save! Belize City Fr $131+/Nt Travelocity
- 3.5-Star Radisson Fort George and Marina Fr $128+/Nt Save with Hotels.com, $196/night less
- Belize City on Sale! 8 Nts + Air as Low as $1,143 Travelocity
- $369+: 7-Nt Caribbean Cruise Incl. Belize & Cozumel, Save 70% ShermansTravel
- Belize City Savings! Book at Princess & Casino Fr $109+/Nt — $109 Expedia