- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
Maya Island Airways and Tropic Air operate flights between both the international and municipal airports in Belize City and Ambergris Caye and Caye Caulker. Each airline has roughly hourly service during daylight hours to and from the cayes. One-way fares on either Tropic and Maya Island to either San Pedro or Caye Caulker for the 15- to 20-minute flight are about BZ$83 (municipal) and BZ$144 (international). To the cayes, you save more than 40% by flying from the municipal airport in Belize City rather than the international airport north of the city. The catch is that if arriving or departing internationally you have to transfer by cab between the two airports—about a 25-minute ride—and a cab is BZ$50 (for the taxi, not per-person), so unless you’re in a group of three or more the extra hassle may not be worth the savings. Both airlines usually offer a 10% discount if you pay cash rather than use a credit card, and sometimes more. But you'll have to ask for the discount, which only applies in person, not online, and usually not on Saturdays.
Maya Island Airways (Belize City Municipal Airport, Belize City. 223/1140 for reservations. www.mayaislandair.com.)
Tropic Air (San Pedro Airstrip, San Pedro. 226/2012; 800/422–3435 in U.S. firstname.lastname@example.org. www.tropicair.com.)
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's