- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
St. George's Caye
Just a stone's throw from Belize City, St. George’s Caye is steeped in history. The country of Belize had its origins here, as St. George's Caye held the original British settlement's first capital. In 1798 the island was the site of a decisive battle with the Spanish. Islanders had only one sloop, while the Spanish had 31 ships. Their knowledge of the sea, however, helped them to defeat the invaders in two hours. Some affluent Belize City residents weekend in their private cottages here. Although St. George's Caye has great places to dive, many serious scuba enthusiasts choose to head out to the more pristine atolls or to private cayes farther south.
Another option about 9 miles (15 km) from Belize City is Royal Palm Island Resort on Little Frenchman Caye. This caye is indeed little, but it offers modern air-conditioned accommodations in two-bedroom cottages.
St. George's Caye at a Glance
Elsewhere in The Cayes and Atolls
- Ambergris Caye and San Pedro
- Caye Caulker
- Glover's Reef Atoll
- Lighthouse Reef Atoll, the Blue Hole, and Half Moon Caye
- Southern Cayes Off Placencia and Southern Coast
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's