At a Glance
- modern, upscale resort in remote area
- very good food
- on-site PADI shop offers good diving and snorkeling nearby
- friendly staff
- small island with no shops or choice of restaurants
- we've heard some complaints about the suite unit, which unlike the cabañas doesn't have much of a sea view
Hatchet Caye Review
On a private island about 17 mile (28 km) east of Placencia, Hatchet Caye offers a unspoiled, remote getaway for honeymooners, divers, or just anyone wanting a complete escape. The rooms are recently constructed and modern, with light plaster walls with mahogany trim and tile floors; they all have air-conditioning, DVD players, Wii, and Wi-Fi. As with most small islands off Belize, there's really not much to do except relax and enjoy water sports—snorkeling, diving, sea kayaking, and swimming. If you're unlucky enough to hit a stretch of bad weather, you may run out of things to keep you occupied. Rates start at around BZ$750 with room, meals, snorkel tour, tax and service, and boat transport to the island. Packages are available with Chabil Mar in Placencia.
- Address: Hatchet Caye, Hatchet Caye
- Phone: 533/4446
- Website: www.hatchetcaye.com
- Location: Southern Cayes Off Placencia and Southern Coast
- 7 rooms in duplex cottages, 1 suite, 1 1-bedroom house
- Rate includes breakfast, no meals, all meals, all-inclusive.
- Closed Oct.