- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
Windsurfing and Kitesurfing
With brisk easterly winds most of the year, Caye Caulker is one of Belize's premier centers for windsurfing. The island gets winds over 12 knots most days from November to July. The best windsurfing is in the morning and afternoon, with lulls around midday. In the late winter and spring, winds frequently hit 20 knots or more. Windsurfing and kitesurfing rental outfits quickly come and go on Caye Caulker; ask locally who is currently offering rentals and lessons.
Charters, Lessons, and Equipment
KiteXplorer. KiteXplorer offers beginning and advanced kitesurfing lessons. A three-hour introduction to kitesurfing costs BZ360 including equipment and insurance. A basic course over three or four days is BZ$960. If you already are an inexperienced kitesurfer, supervised equipment rental is BZ$90 an hour. KiteXplorer also sells equipment. Beachfront, Caye Caulker. 635/4967. www.kitexplorer.com.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe