- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
Belize will probably never rival the British Virgin Islands for sailing. The shallow water and hidden coral heads and tidal currents are dangerous for even those familiar with the area. When you charter a boat you have to stay inside the Barrier Reef, but there's a lot of beautiful territory to explore.
TMM Belize. TMM has about a half-dozen catamarans (38 feet–46 feet, with three to four cabins) at its small Belize base. Weeklong bareboat—sailing experience required—and captained charters are available out of San Pedro. Rates vary, depending on boat type and time of year, but range in high season from around BZ$8,400 to BZ$18,000 a week, not including provisions (available through TMM for around BZ$60 per person per day), cruising fee (BZ$20 per person), insurance fee of BZ$50 a day, and incidentals. Skippers are an additional BZ$300 per day, plus food and gratuity; cooks are BZ$220 a day, plus food and gratuity. Bareboat charters must stay inside the reef. Split among three to eight people, sailing charter prices are not as high as they sound. Coconut Dr., south of Wings department store across from airstrip, San Pedro. 226/3026; 800/633–0155 in U.S. and Canada. www.sailtmm.com. Office open daily 8–5.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's