- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
Windsurfing and Kitesurfing
Caye Caulker is better known as a windsurfing destination, perhaps because it attracts a younger crowd than Ambergris Caye, but the winds are equally good and consistent off Ambergris Caye. February through July sees the windiest conditions, with winds 12 to 20 knots most days. Kitesurfing, combining a windsurfing-type board pulled by a large kite, is also available on Ambergris Caye.
Sailsports Belize. Sailsports Belize at Caribbean Villas offers private windsurfing instruction at BZ$98 an hour, with equipment rental at BZ$44-BZ$54 an hour, or from BZ$98 a day. Five hours of intensive kitesurfing instruction costs BZ$660, and your initial kite-board rental, with an instructor on hand to assist, is BZ$132 for two hours. After that, kitesurfing equipment (kite and board) rentals are BZ$164 for a full day. All rates plus 12.5% tax. Sailsports Belize also rents catamarans. Beachfront, Caribbean Villas, San Pedro. 226/4488. www.sailsportsbelize.com.
Aquatic Sports Belize. Aquatic Sports rents all kinds of water sports equipment, including windsurfers, paddle boats, kayaks, water bikes, snorkel gear, paddle boards, and catamarans. Windsurfing boards are BZ$50 per hour for the first hour, then BZ$30 per hour. Barrier Reef Dr. and Black Coral St., in purple building near La Playa bar, San Pedro. 226/4601. www.aquaticsportsbelize.com.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Belize - Cayo District & Placencia Experience IExplore
- Belize Family IExplore
- Belize Active - Cayo District & San Pedro — $2,399 IExplore
- Belize Family — $2,700 IExplore
- Guatemala, Honduras & Belize — $4,995 IExplore