- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
Belize will probably never rival the British Virgin Islands for sailing. The shallow water kicks up a lot of chop, and hidden coral heads and tidal currents are dangerous for even those familiar with the area. When you charter a boat you have to stay inside the Barrier Reef, but there's a lot of beautiful territory to explore.
TMM Belize. These operators have about a half-dozen catamarans (38 feet-46 feet), with weeklong bareboat (sailing experience required) and captained charters out of San Pedro. Rates vary, depending on boat type and time of year, but range from around BZ$6,000 to more than BZ$16,000 a week, not including provisions (available through TMM for BZ$60 per person per day), cruising fee (BZ$20 per person), and incidentals. Skippers are an additional BZ$300 per day, plus food and gratuity; cooks are BZ$220 a day, also plus food and gratuity. Bareboat charters must stay inside the reef. Split among three to eight people, sailing charter prices are competitive with hotel rates. Coconut Dr., San Pedro. 226/3026 or 800/633-0155. www.sailtmm.com.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- 3.5-Star Radisson Fort George and Marina Fr $145+/Nt Save with Hotels.com, $65/night less
- Book 3.5-Star Radisson Fort George and Marina Fr $176+/Nt Expedia
- Super Sale! 4 Nts The Great House + Air Fr $1,040 Travelocity
- Look no Further! Belize City Hotels Fr $149+/Nt — $149 Travelocity
- Super Savings on Belize City 7 Nts Htl + Air Fr $1,062 — $1,062 Travelocity