- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
Getting Here and Around
Driving to Sarteneja from Corozal Town takes about 1½ hours via the New River ferry and a second, bay-side ferry across Laguna Seca. The road is unpaved and can be very muddy after heavy rains. You also can drive to Sarteneja from Orange Walk Town, a trip of about 40 mi (67 km) and 1½ hours. There are several Sarteneja Bus Line buses a day, except Sunday, from Belize City via Orange Walk Town. The trip from Belize City takes 3½ to 4 hours and costs BZ$10.
The twice-daily water taxi between Corozal Town and San Pedro will drop you at Sarteneja, on request. You also can hire a private boat in Corozal to take you and your party to Sarteneja.
Sarteneja has an airstrip, with two flights daily on Tropic Air from San Pedro (BZ$181 round-trip).
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe