- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
The bay setting of the Mestizo and Creole community of Sarteneja makes it one of the most relaxed and appealing destinations in Belize. It's also the largest fishing village in Belize. You can swim in the bay here, though in many places the bottom is gunky.
Lobster fishing and pineapple farming are the town's two main industries, and Sarteneja is also a center for building wooden boats. Most residents speak Spanish as a first language, but many also speak English.
Visitors and real-estate buyers are beginning to discover Sarteneja, and while tourism services are still minimalist, several small guesthouses are now open, and there are a few places to get a simple, inexpensive bite to eat.
Sarteneja at a Glance
Elsewhere in Northern Belize
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's