- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
This small Mestizo and Creole community enjoys a bay setting that makes it one of the most relaxed and appealing in all of Belize. You can swim in the bay here, though in many places the bottom is gunky.
Lobster fishing and pineapple farming are the town's two main industries, and Sarteneja is also a center for building wooden boats. Most residents speak Spanish as a first language, but many also speak English.
Visitors and real estate buyers are beginning to discover Sarteneja, and while tourism services are still minimalist, several small guesthouses are now open, and there are a few places to get a simple, inexpensive bite to eat.
Sarteneja at a Glance
Elsewhere in Northern Belize
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe