- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
Like the Tulum site in Mexico, Cerros (also referred to as Cerro Maya, or Mayan Hill in Spanish) is unusual in that it's directly on the water. Unlike Tulum, however, there is no development around it, and at times you can have the place all to yourself. With a beautiful setting on a peninsula jutting into Corozal Bay, near the mouth of the New River, the late Pre-Classic center dates to 2000 BC and includes a ball court, several tombs, and a large temple. Altogether, there are some 170 structures, many just mounds of stone and earth, on 52 acres. Bring plenty of bug spray—mosquitoes can be fierce here. The easiest way to get to Cerros is to charter a boat in Corozal Town, for a 15-minute ride across the bay.
- Address: 2½ mi (4 km) north of Copper Bank, Copper Bank
- Phone: No phone
- Cost: BZ$10
- Hours: Daily 8–5
- Location: Copper Bank
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
I've just returned from a fantastic 10 day adventure to Belize and wanted to share my trip report since reading so many of these before I went was so helpful.
i put off for too long shopping for a new Read more
My fiancee and I are planning our honeymoon. Read more
For anyone who has been to both Chan Chich and Bosque del Cabo, how did you think the two compared? Read more
· News & Features
Travelers to Belize will find a fairy-tale landscape of white-sand beaches, lush rain forests, and soaring... Read more
Do you dream about going snout-to-snout with a bear, or at least observing a bear from a safe and responsible... Read more
Honeymoons are the chance to take the adventure of a lifetime.... Read more