- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
Santa Rita Review
Not far from Corozal are several Mayan sites. The closest, Santa Rita, is a short walk from the town's center. It's on a low hill across from the Coca-Cola plant at the north end of town. Only a few of its structures have been excavated, so it takes some imagination to picture this settlement, founded around 1500 BC, as one of the district's major trading centers. The government of Belize in 2012 designated Santa Rita as an official "Wedding Gardens of Belize," and there are plans for facilities for weddings. In December 2012, a reenactment of the wedding of Tzazil-Ha, a Mayan princess, and Gonzalo Guerrero, a Spanish conquistador, was held here. At this writing the Belize Institute of Archeology has plans to build a visitor center.
- Address: Santa Rita, near Corozal Hospital and Coca-Cola plant Corozal Town
- Cost: Free
- Location: Corozal Town
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
Hi, all -
My husband Mike and I just returned from our 4th wonderful visit to Belize. Read more
I've just returned from a fantastic 10 day adventure to Belize and wanted to share my trip report since reading so many of these before I went was so helpful.
i put off for too long shopping for a new Read more
After wanting to go to Belize for a few years now, we are finally going at the beginning of February! Read more
· News & Features
Tired of following the pack?... Read more
Considering a trip to Belize? Here are four of our favorite experiences for a memorable “su... Read more
Travelers to Belize will find a fairy-tale landscape of white-sand beaches, lush rain forests, and soaring... Read more