- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
The 130,000 acres of Gallon Jug Estates is owned by Sir Barry Bowen, one of Belize's wealthiest businessmen. Living among the old-growth mahogany trees and many other tropical hardwoods are more than 350 species of birds and many mammals and reptiles. Jaguar sightings are fairly common around the lodge Chan Chich, averaging around one a week. You're likely to see toucans, many different hummingbirds, and flocks of parrots.
This is a working farm that produces coffee and raises cattle, cacao, and corn. It's the only truly commercial coffee operation in Belize—elevations in Belize are too low to grow high-quality Arabica coffees that thrive at over 4,000 feet—producing Gallon Jug Estates coffee from coffee trees on more than 100 acres. Gallon Jug Estates also produces hot sauces and delicious mango jams, which are for sale in Belize and elsewhere. Tours of the coffee plantings and the production facility, along with other farm tours, can be arranged through Chan Chich Lodge.
Chan Chich, also owned by Bowen, is one of the best jungle lodges in Central America, if not the world. This is the only place to stay in the area. It's possible to visit on a day trip from La Milpa Field Station, Blue Creek Village, or even Lamanai or Orange Walk Town, but you need your own transportation and advance permission to come on the gated Gallon Jug lands.
Gallon Jug at a Glance
Elsewhere in Northern Belize
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- 3.5-Star Radisson Fort George and Marina Fr $145+/Nt Save with Hotels.com, $65/night less
- Radisson Fort George and Marina in May: $176 & Up Expedia
- 1% OFF Radisson Fort George and Marina! 4 Nts + Air Fr $1,103 Travelocity
- Visit Belize City for Less: Hotels Fr $149+/Nt — $149 Travelocity
- Super Savings on Belize City 6 Nts Htl + Air Fr $917 — $917 Travelocity