U.S. dollars are accepted everywhere in Belize, but if you need to exchange another currency, you can do so at one of the five banks in Belize City: Heritage Bank, Atlantic Bank, Belize Bank, First Caribbean International Bank, and ScotiaBank. All banks in Belize City have ATMs (Belize Bank has the largest number of ATMs), and, except for ATMs of Heritage Bank, all now accept cards issued outside Belize. If your ATM card has a Visa, MasterCard, PLUS, or CIRRUS symbol, it will work in at least some Belize ATMs, and you can generally withdraw up to BZ$500 a day. You get your cash in Belize dollars only. Note that other banks you may see in Belize City are international—that is, offshore—banks that do not offer local banking services.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's