- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
From Belize City you can take day trips to Altun Ha, Crooked Tree Wildlife Sanctuary, and Lamanai. You can also do day trips to nearby islands, including St. George's, Chapel, Caulker, and Ambergris cayes, either on your own or with a local tour operator. Your hotel can also arrange day trips.
S&L Travel and Tours is an established local tour operator that offers trips to Lamanai, Xunantunich, and Altun Ha Mayan sites; Belize Zoo; the Mountain Pine Ridge; and the Sibun River for cave tubing. Belize Trips' Katie Valk, a transplanted New Yorker, can organize a custom trip to almost any place in the country and also to Tikal in Guatemala. With her hotel connections she can even get you a room when everything seems booked. She's also a warden for the U.S. Embassy.
Several other Belize City-based tour companies are listed here. Keep in mind that most Belize City tour operators focus more on the booming cruise-ship market than on individual travelers. Some of these cruise-ship tour operators, while generally reputable, have no office and operate with a Web site and a cell phone, meeting customers at the Tourism Village. Katie Valk at Belize Trips is an exception, as she focuses on individual and small-group travel.
Belize Trips (Katie Valk, Belize Trips, P. O. Box 1108, Belize City. 223/0376; 561/210-7015 U.S. number. firstname.lastname@example.org. www.belize-trips.com.)
Cave-Tubing in Belize (605/1575. www.cave-tubing.com.)
Discovery Expeditions (5916 Manatee Dr., Buttonwood Bay, Belize City. 223/0748. www.discoverybelize.com.)
S&L Travel and Tours (91 N. Front St., Belize City. 227/7593. www.sltravelbelize.com.)
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Belize - Cayo District & Placencia Experience IExplore
- Belize Family IExplore
- Belize Active - Cayo District & San Pedro — $2,399 IExplore
- Belize Family — $2,700 IExplore
- Guatemala, Honduras & Belize — $4,995 IExplore