- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
To and from Belize City
There are only two highways to Belize City: the Northern Highway, which stretches to the Mexican border, 102 mi (165 km) away, and the Western Highway, which runs 81 mi (131 km) to Guatemala. Both are paved and in good condition. Signs guide you to nearby destinations such as the Belize Zoo.
In Belize with a Car
Finding your way around the city itself can be confusing. With rare exceptions hotels in and near the city center offer mostly on-street parking, and you run the risk of a break-in if you leave the car overnight. Hotels in the suburbs north and west of the city usually have fenced or otherwise secured parking. Give your nerves a break and explore the city by taxi or on foot by day in safer sections like the Fort George area.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- 3.5-Star Radisson Fort George and Marina Fr $146+/Nt Save with Hotels.com, $64/night less
- Book 3.5-Star Radisson Fort George and Marina Fr $176+/Nt Expedia
- Look no Further! Belize City 7 Nts + Air as Low as $1,062 Travelocity
- Look no Further! Belize City Hotels Fr $149+/Nt — $149 Travelocity
- Look no Further! Belize City 7 Nts + Air as Low as $1,018 — $1,018 Travelocity