- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
To and from Belize City
There are only two highways to Belize City: the Northern Highway, which stretches to the Mexican border, 102 mi (165 km) away, and the Western Highway, which runs 81 mi (131 km) to Guatemala. Both are paved and in good condition. Signs guide you to nearby destinations such as the Belize Zoo.
In Belize with a Car
Finding your way around the city itself can be confusing. With rare exceptions hotels in and near the city center offer mostly on-street parking, and you run the risk of a break-in if you leave the car overnight. Hotels in the suburbs north and west of the city usually have fenced or otherwise secured parking. Give your nerves a break and explore the city by taxi or on foot by day in safer sections like the Fort George area.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe