- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
If you're prepared to go beyond a cursory excursion, Belize City will repay your curiosity. Belizeans are natural city dwellers, and there's an infectious sociability on streets like Albert and Queen, the main shopping strips. The finest British colonial houses—graceful white buildings with wraparound verandas, painted shutters, and fussy Victorian woodwork—are in the Fort George area, near the Radisson Fort George, the most pleasant part of the city in which to stroll.
Fort George. The "colonial" section of Belize City is notable for its grand, if sometimes dilapidated, old 19th- and early-20th-century homes and buildings.
Marine Parade Harbor Front. Along the water near the Princess Hotel & Casino and BTL Park, there is more open, public space than there are buildings, making this a pleasant escape from the bustle of the city center.
The Commercial District. On the South Side, mainly on Albert and Regent streets, this is the commercial center of the city.
King's Park. Upscale residences line the streets near Princess Margaret Drive, about 2 mi (3 km) north of the city center.
The Northern Suburbs. Along the Northern Highway between the city center and the international airport, this is the fastest-growing part of the metropolitan area, with middle-class residential sections such as Buttonwood Bay and Belama, some of the city's stores and supermarkets, and several hotels and B&Bs.
The Western Suburbs. Several new tourist attractions have popped up here, such as the Old Belize Museum. This multiuse commercial and residential area along the Western Highway, beginning at "Boot Hill" on Cemetery Road at the intersection of Central American Boulevard, is also on the way to the Belize Zoo, Belmopan, and the Cayo.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- 3.5-Star Radisson Fort George and Marina Fr $145+/Nt Save with Hotels.com, $65/night less
- Radisson Fort George and Marina in May: $176 & Up Expedia
- Belize City on Sale! 5 Nts + Air as Low as $951 Travelocity
- Visit Belize City for Less: Hotels Fr $149+/Nt — $149 Travelocity
- Last Minute Vacation Sale! 8 Nts Belize City + Air Fr $1,046 — $1,046 Travelocity