Shopping in Belize City
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
Belize City Shopping
Belize City has the most varied shopping in the country. Rather than catering to leisure shoppers, most stores in Belize City cater to the local market and those from other parts of the country who need to stock up on supplies at lumberyards, home-building stores, appliance outlets, and supermarkets. Gift shops and handicraft shops are concentrated in the downtown area in and near the Tourism Village.
About a dozen ships per week call on Belize City, and each time the Tourism Village shops open their doors. Wednesday is usually the biggest day of the week for cruise ships in Belize City, often with three to five in port, and Saturday is another popular day. Rarely is there a ship in port on Sunday.
Most stores in the downtown area are open Monday-Saturday from around 8 am to 6 pm. On Sunday, nearly all stores downtown are dark, although some stores in the suburbs are open Sunday afternoon.
In a misguided effort at civic redevelopment, the city did away with the old markets at Swing Bridge in the 1990s, replacing them with a modern, two-story Commercial Center just south of Swing Bridge, with stalls and shops selling food and household items. Although clean, the Commercial Center doesn't have the atmosphere, or the customer base, of the old markets. The Queen's Square Market just south of the Novelo's bus terminal on West Collet Canal Street was closed in mid-2009 for renovations and is scheduled to reopen in the same location by spring 2010.
Browse Belize City Shopping
Browse Belize City Shopping By Location
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- 3.5-Star Radisson Fort George and Marina Fr $145+/Nt Save with Hotels.com, $65/night less
- Save Big This May! Book 3 Nts in Belize City Fr $176+/Nt Expedia
- Look no Further! Belize City 7 Nts + Air as Low as $1,013 Travelocity
- Visit Belize City for Less: Hotels Fr $147+/Nt — $147 Travelocity
- Belize City on Sale! 4 Nts + Air as Low as $921 — $921 Travelocity