Old Belize Review
Many of the visitors here are tour groups from cruise ships, but you also can visit the museum at Old Belize on your own (it's a BZ$20 taxi ride each way from downtown Belize City). In a large warehouse-style building, exhibits are devoted to the rain forest and the Maya, Garífuna, and Creoles in Belize City, with displays on logging, chicle harvesting, and sugar production. Some of the artifacts formerly housed at the Maritime Museum at the Marine Terminal are now on display here. Also at the site of the museum are a large marina; a restaurant, TGI Crazy Gringo ($$), where you can get a decent hamburger (BZ$16) and other American-style dishes; a gift shop; and Cucumber Beach, a small man-made beach that's the only one near Belize City, a 600-foot zip line, and a waterslide.
- Address: Mile 5, George Price Hwy., Formerly Western Hwy., Western Suburbs, Belize City | Map It
- Phone: 222/4129; 222/5588
- Cost: BZ$10 for museum; BZ$20 for beach and waterslide; BZ$40 for beach, waterslide and zipline
- Hours: Daily 9 am–10 pm
- Website: www.oldbelize.com
- Location: Western Suburbs