- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
Swing Bridge Review
As you might have guessed, the bridge spanning Haulover Creek in the middle of Belize City actually swings. When needed to allow a boat through or by special request of visiting dignitaries, four men hand-winch the bridge a quarter-revolution so waiting boats can continue upstream (when it was the only bridge in town, this snarled traffic for blocks). The bridge, made in England, opened in 1923; it was renovated and upgraded in 1999. It's the only one of its kind left. Before the Swing Bridge arrived, cattle were "hauled over" the creek in a barge. The bridge appears in a scene of the 1980 movie, The Dogs of War, set in a fictitious African country but mostly filmed in Belize.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
Hi, all -
My husband Mike and I just returned from our 4th wonderful visit to Belize. Read more
I've just returned from a fantastic 10 day adventure to Belize and wanted to share my trip report since reading so many of these before I went was so helpful.
i put off for too long shopping for a new Read more
Driving in July2014 to Belize, with our granddaughter, dog and slide on Camper. Read more
· News & Features
Tired of following the pack? ... Read more
Considering a trip to Belize? Here are four of our favorite experiences for a memorable “su... Read more
Travelers to Belize will find a fairy-tale landscape of white-sand beaches, lush rain forests, and soaring... Read more