Belize City Restaurants
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
Belize City Restaurant Reviews
Though most restaurants here cater to locals, their number and quality rival those of tourist magnet San Pedro in Ambergris Caye. The city has inexpensive dives serving "dollah chicken" (fried chicken, a local favorite, though it no longer costs just a Belize dollar), Chinese joints of 1950s vintage specializing in chow mein, and lunch spots for downtown office workers seeking Creole dishes such as cow-foot soup and rice and beans. Belize City also has upmarket restaurants serving the city's affluent elite. Only a couple of these are "dressy" (by Belize standards, this means a nice collared shirt for men and perhaps a long tropical dress for women) and reservations are rarely necessary.
A few restaurants around the Tourism Village target cruise-ship passengers, typically for lunch and drinks, but the one thing you won't find here are chain restaurants. In fact, there's only one fast-food chain restaurant anywhere in Belize, a Subway deli on Freetown Road.
Browse Belize City Restaurants
Browse Belize City Restaurants By Location
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Belize - Cayo District & Placencia Experience IExplore
- Belize Family IExplore
- Belize Active - Cayo District & San Pedro — $2,399 IExplore
- Belize Family — $2,700 IExplore
- Guatemala, Honduras & Belize — $4,995 IExplore