When to Go
When to Go
The weather in Wales, as in the rest of Britain, is a lottery. It can be hot in summer or never stop raining; generally it's cool and wet in spring and autumn, but they can be surprisingly warm and sunny. The only surefire rule is that you should be prepared for the unexpected.
Generally speaking, southwest Wales tends to enjoy a milder climate than elsewhere in Britain, thanks in part to the moderating effects of the Gulf Stream. In contrast, mountainous areas like Snowdonia and the Brecon Beacons can be chilly at any time of the year. Book far ahead for major festivals such as the literary Hay Festival, Brecon Jazz, and the Abergavenny Food Festival.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- May deal: Mercure Cardiff Holland House and Spa Fr $159+/Nt Expedia
- Cardiff Savings! Book 3 Nts in May Fr $173+/Nt Expedia
- Book the Holiday Inn Express Cardiff Bay 3 Nts in May Fr $150+/Nt — $150 Expedia
- Save Big This May! Book 3 Nts at Hilton Cardiff Fr $201+/Nt — $201 Expedia
- Save Big This May! Book 3 Nts in Cardiff Fr $76+/Nt — $76 Expedia