Castell Coch Review
Perched on a hillside is this fairy-tale castle. The turreted Red Castle was built on the site of a medieval stronghold in the 1870s, about the time that the "Fairytale King" Ludwig II of Bavaria was creating his castles in the mountains of Germany. This Victorian fantasy wouldn't look out of place among them. The castle was another collaboration of the third marquess of Bute and William Burges, who transformed Cardiff Castle. Burges created everything, including the whimsical furnishings and murals, in a remarkable exercise in Victorian-Gothic whimsy.
- Address: A470, 4 miles north of Cardiff, Tongwynlais, CF15 7JS | Map It
- Phone: 029/2081-0101
- Cost: £3.80
- Hours: Mar.--June, Sept., and Oct., daily 9:30--5; July and Aug., daily 9:30--6; Nov.--Feb., Mon.--Sat. 10--4, Sun. 11--4; last admission 30 min before closing.
- Website: www.cadw.wales.gov.uk
- Location: Cardiff
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Cardiff Savings! Book at Mercure Cardiff Centre Fr $85+/Nt Expedia
- Mercure Cardiff Holland House and Spa in May: $159 & Up Expedia
- May deal: Holiday Inn Cardiff City Centre Fr $154+/Nt — $154 Expedia
- Book in Cardiff: Save this May Fr $108+/Nt — $108 Save with Expedia, $19/night less
- Cardiff Savings! Book at Campanile Cardiff Fr $76+/Nt — $76 Expedia
Back a week ago Friday and am finally caught up, ready to start the TR.
Background: Some you have read my trip report of last year's journey to scatter Mom and Dad's ashes at the Lake of Menteith, tou Read more
We recently came back from a one week trip to London and found it thrilling. Read more
I'm not sure I'm going to get one, but I thought I'd get some suggestions. Read more
· News & Features
We don't want to make you upset, but the season finale of Downton Abbey (in the US anyway) is this Sunday.... Read more
You may know about its idyllic green, pastoral landscapes, but Wales is full of surprises—from mushroom... Read more
We're checking in on Yosemite Falls, keeping an eye out for Kayak's hot new IPO, and looking toward the... Read more