South Wales Travel Guide
- Places to Explore
- Fodor's Choice
Fodor's England 2013
The most diverse of Wales's three regions, the south covers the area around Cardiff that stretches southwest as far as the rugged coastline of Pembrokeshire. It's the most accessible part of the country, as the roads are relatively good and the rail network is more extensive than it is elsewhere in Wales. Pleasant seaside towns such as Tenby are within a four- to five hour drive of London; from Cardiff and Swansea you're never more than a half hour away from some gorgeous small villages.
Fodor's local writers visit every hotel we recommend. Look for our discerning Fodor's Choice picks or search by price and location.
Find the best South Wales restaurants in every price category with our top picks.
Things To Do in South Wales
Explore the best sights, entertainment, and shopping with our top choices and insider tips.
- Save Big This Jun! Book 3 Nts in Cardiff Fr $159+/Nt Expedia
- Early Booking Bonus: Park Plaza Cardiff in Jun Save with Expedia, $15/night less
- Book in Cardiff: Save at the Campanile Cardiff in Jun Fr $65+/Nt — $65 Save with Expedia, $17/night less
- Book in Cardiff: Save this Jun Fr $124+/Nt — $124 Save with Expedia, $22/night less
- Save in Cardiff: Book 3 Nts in Jun Fr $99+/Nt — $99 Expedia
We don't want to make you upset, but the season finale of Downton Abbey (in the US anyway) is this Sunday. ... Read more
You may know about its idyllic green, pastoral landscapes, but Wales is full of surprises—from mushroom... Read more
We're checking in on Yosemite Falls, keeping an eye out for Kayak's hot new IPO, and looking toward the... Read more
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Places To Explore
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
During my planning phase, many Fodorites were very helpful and encouraging, as always! Read more
Given that some quarter million make the trek annually (and even more by train), it's not like climbing Snowdon is scaling Everest. Read more