Caernarfon Castle Review
The grim, majestic mass of Caernarfon Castle, a UNESCO World Heritage Site, looms over the waters of the River Seiont. Numerous bloody encounters were witnessed by these sullen walls, erected by Edward I in 1283 as a symbol of his determination to subdue the Welsh. The castle's towers, unlike those of Edward I's other castles, are polygonal and patterned with bands of different-color stone. In 1284 the monarch thought of a scheme to steal the Welsh throne. Knowing that the Welsh chieftains would accept no foreign prince, Edward promised to designate a ruler who could speak no word of English. Edward presented his infant son to the assembled chieftains as their prince "who spoke no English, had been born on Welsh soil, and whose first words would be spoken in Welsh." The ruse worked, and on that day was created the first prince of Wales of English lineage. In the Queen's Tower, a museum charts the history of the local regiment, the Royal Welsh Fusiliers. The castle is in the town of Caernarfon, 7 miles west of Llanberis.
- Address: Castle Hill, Caernarfon, LL55 2AY | Map It
- Phone: 01286/677617
- Cost: £5.50
- Hours: Mar.–June, Sept., and Oct., daily 9:30–5; July and Aug., daily 9:30–6; Nov.–Feb., Mon.–Sat. 10–4, Sun. 11–4; last admission 30 min before closing.
- Website: cadw.wales.gov.uk
- Location: Porthmadog
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
My boyfriend (D) and I went on a semi-vacation for a few weeks in the Fall of 2013. Read more
PROLOGUE – Shut Out and Scrambling For Lodging
The still-to-this-day-maddening email arrived about 48 hours before Kim, Mary, Tracy and I were to take-off from LAX to London: “London Property Read more
DH & I have been looking for an area to stay in the Lake District and Keswick seems to keep popping up as the preferred town in the research we have done so far. Read more
· News & Features
Apparently the UK loves sleeping in trees—the treehouse hotel trend has swept the region, making ... Read more
Lush and rugged Wales is never more inviting than when summer temps get to the point of stifling back... Read more
We don't want to make you upset, but the season finale of Downton Abbey (in the US anyway) is this Sunday.... Read more