Fodor's England 2014
Llechwedd Slate Caverns
Llechwedd Slate Caverns Review
At these caverns you can take two trips: a tram ride through floodlighted tunnels where Victorian working conditions have been re-created, and a ride on Britain's deepest underground railway to a mine where you can walk by an eerie underground lake. Either tour gives a good idea of the difficult working conditions the miners endured. Above are a re-created Victorian village and slate-splitting demonstrations. Wear sturdy footwear—during busy times you may have to climb 70 steps as part of the tour.
- Address: Off A470, Blaenau Ffestiniog, LL41 3NB
- Phone: 01766/830306
- Cost: Tram ride or deep mine tour £10.50; both tours £17
- Hours: Mid-Mar.–Sept., daily 9:30–5:30; Oct.–mid-Mar., daily 10–5; last admission 45 mins before closing
- Website: www.llechwedd-slate-caverns.co.uk
- Location: Porthmadog
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
For the time being, keep your Mediterranean give me North of England locations with the sun shining in Spring.
We dusted off our ‘Walks in the Forest of Bowland’ a Cicerone Guide written by Read more
I recently got back from a wonderful trip to Budapest, with overnight layovers in London coming and going. Read more
I'll be spending some time in Europe this summer and was curious thoughts on European fashion for a larger man. I'm 6' 2" and generally wear XL. Most of the European fashion I see is for skinny Read more
· News & Features
Apparently the UK loves sleeping in trees—the treehouse hotel trend has swept the region, making... Read more
Lush and rugged Wales is never more inviting than when summer temps get to the point of stifling back... Read more
We don't want to make you upset, but the season finale of Downton Abbey (in the US anyway) is this Sunday.... Read more