Fodor's England 2014
Bodelwyddan Castle Review
Between Abergele and St. Asaph, this castle is the Welsh home of London's National Portrait Gallery. Paintings on display include works by John Singer Sargent, Dante Gabriel Rossetti, and Edwin Landseer. The castle grounds contain a fascinating, if somber historical footnote: a network of overgrown World War I trenches, used by the army to train new recruits. A series of interactive displays help bring the history to life. Also on the grounds are a maze, an aviary, and pretty woodland walks. The castle is 16 miles east of Llandudno.
- Address: Off A55, Bodelwyddan, LL18 5YA | Map It
- Phone: 01745/584060
- Cost: £6.50; park only £4
- Hours: Jan.–late Mar. and Nov.–mid-Dec., weekends 10:30–4; late Mar.–Oct., Wed.–Sun. 10:30–5; last admission 30 mins before closing
- Website: www.bodelwyddan-castle.co.uk
- Location: Porthmadog
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
First … thank you so much to all who helped with suggestions. Read more
We saw London, we saw France and lots more.
Day 1 (9/18) Amsterdam
Well I have put off this trip report long enough so here goes. I am writing this to pay forward the help and advice which I received from Read more
Alright, seasoned travelers, here is a very rough sketch of my itinerary for the summer. Read more
· News & Features
Apparently the UK loves sleeping in trees—the treehouse hotel trend has swept the region, making ... Read more
Lush and rugged Wales is never more inviting than when summer temps get to the point of stifling back... Read more
We don't want to make you upset, but the season finale of Downton Abbey (in the US anyway) is this Sunday.... Read more