Chirk Castle Review
In the rather sleepy village of Chirk (Y Waun), this impressive medieval fortress has evolved from its 14th-century origins into a grand home complete with an 18th-century servants hall and interiors furnished in 16th- to 19th-century styles. However, it still looks satisfyingly medieval from the outside—and also below ground, where you tour the original dungeons. Surrounding the castle are beautiful formal gardens and parkland. Chirk Castle is 5 miles southeast of Llangollen.
- Address: Off B4500, Chirk, LL14 5AF
- Phone: 01691/777701
- Cost: £10; garden and medieval tower only, £7.20
- Hours: Castle Mar.--June, Wed.--Sun. 10--5; July--Oct., daily 10--5; early Nov.--mid-Dec. and early--mid-Feb., weekends 10--4; late Feb., daily 10--4.
- Website: www.nationaltrust.org.uk
- Location: Llangollen
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Special deal: 3-Star Holiday Inn Express Cardiff Bay Fr $151+/Nt Expedia
- Cardiff Savings! Book 3 Nts in May Fr $195+/Nt Expedia
- Campanile Cardiff on Sale: Book 3 Nts in May Fr $60+/Nt — $60 Expedia
- May deal: Cardiff Marriott Fr $233+/Nt — $233 Expedia
- Book 3 Nts in Cardiff this May Fr $163+/Nt — $163 Expedia
I realized that my other ongoing report ("UK TR, so far)" was now misnamed....so I am finishing here. I started it on the 2nd (or so) day of our trip, but now we have been at home for several days.
The Read more
Again, as promised a separate thread that will be easily searchable. Read more
My 17 year old daughter will be flying alone from the US to Munich via London (Heathrow). Read more
· News & Features
We don't want to make you upset, but the season finale of Downton Abbey (in the US anyway) is this Sunday. ... Read more
You may know about its idyllic green, pastoral landscapes, but Wales is full of surprises—from mushroom... Read more
We're checking in on Yosemite Falls, keeping an eye out for Kayak's hot new IPO, and looking toward the... Read more