Powis Castle Review
Continuously occupied since the 13th century, Powis Castle rises above the town of Welshpool. One of the most elegant residential castles in Britain, Powis is equally renowned for its magnificent terraced gardens. The interior contains an outstanding art collection, from Greek vases to paintings by Thomas Gainsborough and Joshua Reynolds. The Clive of India Museum contains perhaps the most extensive private collection of antique Indian art in Britain. Powis Castle is north of Llandrindod Wells on the A483.
- Address: A483, Welshpool, SY21 8RF
- Phone: 01938/551944
- Cost: Apr.–Oct. £11.80, Nov.–Feb. £5.90; castle only Apr.–Oct. £6, Nov.–Feb. £3.20; garden only Apr.–Oct. £8.70, Nov.–Feb. £4.50
- Hours: Castle Jan.–Feb., weekends noon–3:30 (tours only); Mar. and Oct., daily 12:30–4 (tours only 11–12:30); Apr.–Sept., daily 12:30–5 (tours only 11–12:30); Nov.–Dec., noon–4 (no tours). Museum Apr.–Sept., daily noon–5; Mar. and Oct.–Dec., daily noon–4. Gardens Apr.–Sept., daily 10–6; Oct.–Mar., 10–4
- Website: www.nationaltrust.org.uk/powis-castle
- Location: Llandrindod Wells