Machynlleth (pronounced "Mack-unth-leth"), at the head of the beautiful Dovey Estuary, doesn't look like a typical Welsh country town. Its long and wide main street, Heol Maengwyn, is lined with a mixed style of buildings from sober gray stone to well-proportioned Georgian, creating an atypical sense of openness and space. Machynlleth's busiest day is Wednesday, when the stalls of market traders fill the main street.
Machynlleth at a Glance
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's