Barmouth, on the northern mouth of the Mawddach Estuary, is one of the few places along the Welsh coast that can be described as a full-fledged seaside resort, although it's looking a bit tired these days. It has a 2-mi-long promenade, wide expanses of golden beach, and facilities for sea, river, and mountain-lake fishing. To appreciate the splendid location, walk along the footpath beside the railway bridge that crosses the mouth of the estuary: the bay stretches out on one side, and on the other are rugged, looming mountains and the river.
The arrival of the railway in the 19th century made Barmouth a popular vacation spot. Alfred, Lord Tennyson was inspired to write Crossing the Bar by the spectacle of the Mawddach rushing to meet the sea. Charles Darwin worked on The Origin of Species and The Descent of Man in a house by the shore.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- May deal: Cardiff Marriott Fr $233+/Nt Expedia
- Cardiff Savings! Book at Novotel Cardiff Centre Fr $154+/Nt Expedia
- Small budget: Book Mercure Cardiff Centre 3 Nts in May Fr $87+/Nt — $87 Expedia
- Cardiff Savings! Book at Copthorne Cardiff Caerdydd Fr $120+/Nt — $120 Save with Expedia, $21/night less
- Book 3 Nts in Cardiff this May Fr $163+/Nt — $163 Expedia