- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Once here, you'll find renting a car allows you to get around with the most ease; many of the sights you'll want to see are off the main road, and the area is filled with beautiful coastal drives.
Although the highways between towns are well maintained, smaller roads are usually unpaved and rough, and the twisty coastal roads require concentration. To estimate driving times, figure on about 70 km (43 mi) per hour. By car from Istanbul to Marmaris or Antalya is at least a 10-hour, 750-km (470-mi) trek. The speed limit is 90 kpm (56 mph) on most country roads—120 kpm (75 mph) on real highways—and for your own safety it's best to stick to it. The police do have radars and they do use them.
All airports have several car rental associations to choose from, and many hotels can arrange car rentals. In general, the smaller and more remote the place, the cheaper the rental, but the more minimal the service.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Small budget: Book Adana Hilton SA 3 Nts in May Fr $167+/Nt Save with Expedia, $33/night less
- Book 3-Star Guney Brabant in Antalya Fr $62+/Nt Expedia
- Book in Antalya: Save this May Fr $3,135+/Nt — $3,135 Save with Expedia, $2652/night less
- Antalya Savings! Book 3 Nts in May Fr $156+/Nt — $156 Save with Expedia, $62/night less
- Antalya Savings! Book 3 Nts in May at Club Sera Fr $448+/Nt — $448 Expedia