- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
The attractions in Termessos start right by the parking area, with a monumental gate, part of an ancient temple dedicated to Hadrian. The steepness of the path that leads up to the craggy remains of the city walls soon makes it clear just why Alexander the Great declined to attack. Next, on your left, are a gymnasium, a colonnaded street, a bath complex built of dark gray stone blocks, and then, up and around, a 5,000-seat theater perched at the edge of a sheer cliff, which has one of the most spectacular settings in Turkey. From this staggering height you can see the sea, the Pamphylian plain, Mt. Solymus, and the occasional mountain goat or ibex. Farther around is the well-preserved bouleterion, where the city council met, surrounded by several temples, the very overgrown market, and some huge underground cisterns. Termessos has one more wonder: several vast necropolises, with nearly 1,000 tombs scattered willy-nilly on a rocky hill. A signposted alternate route back to the parking lot takes you past several rock-cut tombs; another large collection of tombs can be accessed via a path from the ticket office.
- Address: Take E87 north toward Burdur, bear left at fork onto Rte. 350 toward Korkuteli and follow signs to Termessos,
- Cost: 5 TL
- Hours: Daily 8:30–7
- Location: Termessos
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
We decided last night to make use of the unseasonably warm weather in this part of the world and hit the road from Nicea to travel 315 kilometers to Usak, starting early this morning.
The concept of "early" Read more
We got back from Turkey a couple weeks ago, and all I can is…wow! Read more
We will be arriving in SELCUK, by bus, FAIRLY LATE IN THE EVENING, from Pammukale.
We would like to take a TAXI to our hotel: The Amazon Petit Hotel.
Will there likely be taxis available outside the Read more
· News & Features
Wine connoisseurs take note: Norwegian Cruise Line has partnered with the Michael Mondavi Family Estate ... Read more
Got cabin fever?... Read more
Finding an affordable, stylish hotel in Manhattan is a challenge.... Read more