- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
The well-preserved walls and lovely location of Arycanda, high in a mountain valley above Finike, make this ancient Lycian town one of the most beautiful and least crowded archaeological sites on the Turquoise Coast. A parking area and easy-to-follow trail lead up to the acropolis, first passing a church and the monumental Roman baths (perhaps Turkey's best-preserved), with intact mosaic floors, standing walls, and windows framing the valley. The tombs, farther east along the trail, are more properly Roman rather than Lycian—it's worth the hike to see the carved gateway on the last one. At the top of the hills sit a sunken agora, or market, with arcades on three sides and an intimate odeon, or small concert hall, topped by a Greek-style theater that offers a breathtaking view of the valley and mountains often capped with snow. Even higher up is the town's stadium or running track. Farther north is a second, long thin agora, with a small temple above it. From here the official trail scrambles down to some Roman villas, but you may find it easier to backtrack. Back toward the car park is a temple of Trajan with an ancient Roman toilet underneath.
- Address: 30km (19 m) north of Finike on the Elmalı road, Finike
- Phone: 535/856–6059
- Cost: 3 TL
- Hours: Daily 9–7:30
- Location: Finike and Arycanda
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
We decided last night to make use of the unseasonably warm weather in this part of the world and hit the road from Nicea to travel 315 kilometers to Usak, starting early this morning.
The concept of "early" Read more
We got back from Turkey a couple weeks ago, and all I can is…wow! Read more
We will be arriving in SELCUK, by bus, FAIRLY LATE IN THE EVENING, from Pammukale.
We would like to take a TAXI to our hotel: The Amazon Petit Hotel.
Will there likely be taxis available outside the Read more
· News & Features
Wine connoisseurs take note: Norwegian Cruise Line has partnered with the Michael Mondavi Family Estate ... Read more
Got cabin fever?... Read more
Finding an affordable, stylish hotel in Manhattan is a challenge.... Read more