- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Sports and the Outdoors
Alanya's main beach, known as Cleopatra's Beach, remains relatively uncrowded except in the height of summer. It's also easy to reach other nearby beaches, coves, and caves by boat. Legend has it that buccaneers kept their most fetching maidens at Korsanlar Mağarası (Pirates' Cave) and Aşıklar Mağarası (Lovers' Cave), two favorite destinations. Tour boats usually charge from $10 to $20 per person; hiring a private boat, which you can do at the dock near the Red Tower, should cost less than $30 an hour—don't be afraid to bargain.
Alanya International Triathlon. Organized sporting events are new for sweltering, nightlife-oriented Alanya, but the past few years have seen the advent of the Alanya International Triathlon in late spring. There is also beach volleyball, basketball, handball, and other sporting events, especially in summer. www.alanya.bel.tr/Triathlon/index.htm.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe