How Much Time?
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
How Much Time?
If you just have a weekend or so on the Turquoise Riviera and want to see ancient sites, base yourself in Antalya and drive out to nearby Termessos, Perge, or Aspendos: they're some of the best preserved classical sites in the country.
A road trip around the Lycian coast is beautiful, and full of the ruins of ancient Lycian cities like Xanthos, Patara, and Olympos. Count on about 10 hours' total driving, starting in either Antalya or Dalaman. There are many unspoiled towns and lovely hotels en route. You could spend as few as three days, but five to seven would be more relaxing. A sample six-day tour would have you leave from Antalya and visit Termessos, then cross the mountains to Fethiye. Overnight in the mountains above Ölüdeniz. On Day 2, visit Ölüdeniz, the ghost town of Kaya, and Fethiye; overnight in the same hotel as the previous night. On Day 3, visit the ancient Lycian cities of Pinara, Xanthos, and Letoön, finishing with a swim in Patara. Overnight in Patara or Kalkan. On Day 4, head to Kaş and take a day boat trip to Kekova. Overnight in Kaş. On Day 5, visit St. Nicholas's Basilica in Demre, have lunch in Finike, and visit Arycanda in the afternoon. Overnight in Çiralı and see the burning Chimera. On Day 6, visit Phaselis, then return to Antalya.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's