- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
For the visitor who wants a taste of the grandeur of the Turquoise Riviera, but has little time to spare, Göcek is perfect. The tranquil yachting resort town is just a 20-minute drive over the mountains from Dalaman Airport, enjoys gorgeous vistas of sea and mountains, has easy access to the sea, and offers good, upmarket places to eat, sleep, and shop. It has avoided the excesses of package tourism and overdevelopment, and is focused on its pleasant, carless waterfront. Three marinas and an annual regatta make this a major center for Turkey's yachting world, and weekends see it awash with Istanbul sosyete (essentially the rich, frequently spoiled, and occasionally glamorous children of the upper classes) on parade. From Göcek, an hour's drive reaches the natural beauties of Dalyan, the sights around Fethiye/Ölüdeniz, or great Lycian sites like Tlos and Xanthos. There is only one private beach in Göcek itself, so hop on one of the several wooden tour boats that head out each morning to explore elsewhere. The best swimming and snorkeling are around the beaches or in the coves of the Twelve Islands, strung out like a necklace across the mouth of the bay.
Göcek is in prime Blue Cruise territory, so you can rent a yacht or a gulet, for as much time and money as you have to spare. The most popular anchorages include Tersane, Kapı Creek, Cleopatra's Bay, the obscure ruins at Lydae, Tomb Bay, or the lovely island of Katrancı.
Göcek at a Glance
Elsewhere in The Turquoise Coast
- Antakya (Antioch)
- Datça Peninsula
- Demre (Kale)
- Eski Datça and Reshadiye
- Finike and Arycanda
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe