- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Kapalı Çarşı (covered bazaar)
Kapalı Çarşı (covered bazaar) Review
The vast complex here comprises many adjoining hans (caravansaries, inns for merchants) surrounding a bedestan (the central part of a covered bazaar, which is vaulted and fireproofed). Bursa sultans began building bazaars in the 14th century to finance the construction or maintenance of their schools, mosques, or kitchen houses. The precinct was soon topped with roofs, creating the earliest form of covered bazaar, and late in the century Yıldırım Beyazıt perfected the concept by building a bedesten with six woven parts connected by arches and topped by 14 domes. The complex was flattened by a massive earthquake in 1855, and parts were badly burned by fire in the 1950s, but Kapalı Çarşı has been lovingly restored to provide wonderful flavor of the past. Best buys here include silver and gold jewelry, thick Turkish cotton towels (for which Bursa is famous), and silk goods.
- Address: Behind Ulu Cami, Between Atatürk Cad. and Cumhuriyet Cad., Bursa, 16010
- Hours: Mon.–Sat. 8–8
- Location: Bursa
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
It is 10:15PM in this part of the globe. Read more
My wife, Joanne and I (from London, Ontario, Canada) went on our first "Bus Tour" and our first tour organized by Gate 1 Travel through a recommendation of a friend, Larry (from North Carolina) in late Read more
...Less than one week for the trip (one day in Madrid before Turkey)! I'm so excited about it.
Could you please recommend me restaurants to go in the following cities?
- Urgup (May 2-3). it could also Read more
· News & Features
Navigate the chaotic street food scene of Ho Chi Minh City like a pro with our quick guide to no-fuss... Read more
Come for the beautiful architecture and stay for the vibrant local culture.... Read more
A look at ultra-luxurious airline accomodations and a fascinating visual breakdown of literary storytelling are... Read more