The Sea of Marmara and the North Aegean Feature
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Most cities in Turkey claim some kind of fame for their köfte (meatballs), but İegol köfte—cooked on charcoal—are especially delicious and said to have been invented in Bursa, as was İskender kebap, tender beef on pita bread, soaked in tomato sauce, and served with yogurt on the side. And don't let your experience of İskender kebap elsewhere in Turkey put you off trying it in Bursa, where it's far superior.
In the Mt. Ida region you'll find mezes that are made with wild herbs collected in the area and cooked or dressed in olive oil. Cunda island in Ayvalık has an amazing range of seafood and fish mezes and main dishes, enriched by lesser-known Greek dishes and the restaurants' own creations. Fish is always advisable throughout the region if you stick to local and seasonal catches.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's