- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Kadifekale (Velvet Fortress)
Kadifekale (Velvet Fortress) Review
Climb the windy, restored ramparts of the Kadifekale (Turkish for "velvet castle"), built soon after Alexander the Great swept through Smyrna, for sweeping views of the city and its harbor. Perched on Mount Pagos, the castle was frequently rebuilt after various mishaps, and was enlarged and strengthened by successive conquerors. The structure looks like a childhood fantasy of a medieval castle, with solid stone blocks (some dating from Alexander's day), Byzantine cisterns, and Ottoman buttresses jutting out to support the walls. Locals will warn solo visitors (especially women) not to visit the Kadifekale alone for fear of being hassled or harassed, particularly by people who inhabit the shanty-like area around the site. Consider asking a taxi to wait for you.
- Address: İzmir, 35000
- Location: İzmir
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
We decided last night to make use of the unseasonably warm weather in this part of the world and hit the road from Nicea to travel 315 kilometers to Usak, starting early this morning.
The concept of "early" Read more
We got back from Turkey a couple weeks ago, and all I can is…wow! Read more
We will be arriving in SELCUK, by bus, FAIRLY LATE IN THE EVENING, from Pammukale.
We would like to take a TAXI to our hotel: The Amazon Petit Hotel.
Will there likely be taxis available outside the Read more
· News & Features
Wine connoisseurs take note: Norwegian Cruise Line has partnered with the Michael Mondavi Family Estate ... Read more
Got cabin fever?... Read more
Finding an affordable, stylish hotel in Manhattan is a challenge.... Read more