- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Graves of the Seven Sleepers
Graves of the Seven Sleepers Review
According to the legend attached to the Graves of the Seven Sleepers, seven young Christian men hid in a cave to avoid persecution by the Romans in the 3rd century AD; the story was immortalized in a poem by Goethe. They fell into a sleep that lasted 200 years, waking only after the Byzantine Empire had made Christianity the official state religion. When they died, they were buried here, and a church was built over them. The tombs in the large cemetery are largely from the Byzantine era. The site is currently closed to the public because of danger from falling rocks.
- Address: South of Sor Sahasi Sok. 3, Ephesus, 09400
- Cost: Free
- Location: Ephesus Archaeological Site
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
It is 10:15PM in this part of the globe. Read more
My wife, Joanne and I (from London, Ontario, Canada) went on our first "Bus Tour" and our first tour organized by Gate 1 Travel through a recommendation of a friend, Larry (from North Carolina) in late Read more
I know this is a long shot however, Im wondering if someone can offer up any advice?
My friend and I will be in Europe for about 3 month's, the main places we are going are
Barcelona, Ibiza, Nice France, Read more
· News & Features
Stunning beaches, tantalizing food, and veritable vino—we're all about epicurean excellence... Read more
A history of Moleskine notebooks and a blog for safari lovers are among the things we've been reading... Read more
Nassau is an easily accessible, fun-packed destination for adults and kids alike.... Read more