The Central and Southern Aegean Coast Sights



Genoese castle

Genoese castle Review

There aren't many sights in Kuşadası proper, but the causeway off Kadınlar Plajı (Women's Beach), just south of the harbor, connects the town to an old Genoese castle on Güvercin Adası (Pigeon Island). The fortress was once home to three Turkish brothers in the 16th century. These infamous pirates—Barbarossa, Oruc, and Hayrettin—pillaged the coasts of Spain and Italy and sold passengers and crews from captured ships into slavery in Algiers and Constantinople. Rather than fight them, Süleyman the Magnificent (ruled 1520–66) hired Hayrettin as his grand admiral and set him loose on enemies in the Mediterranean. The strategy worked: Hayrettin won victory after victory and was heaped with honors and riches. The castle is currently closed for restorations, though you can still have a nice stroll along the causeway.

    Contact Information

  • Address: Güvercin Adası, Kuşadası
  • Location: Kuşadası
Updated: 11-25-2013

Fodorite Reviews

Be the first to review this property


View more trip reports

View more travel discussions

· News & Features

View more blog stories